Friday, November 4, 2011

Life of a Sports Lover.


Well, at this point we all know how the World Series ended up. For the Rangers, it was another unhappy ending. It's so unfortunate too, because (insert obvious bias here) it just seemed like it was fate, that this team was the most deserving and that THIS was definitely our year. But, if there's one thing I've learned in my 29 years, it's that things don't always pan out the way we expect them to, especially when it comes to sports.
Sadly, for my family, it seems that there is a certain Comfort Curse that we've been dealing with for almost 15 years when it comes to the "big game." To some it may seem to be just one of those sports superstitions, but it definitely has some merit. It all started with my dad's undefeated Lobos losing the 5A football state championship game in '97. Then in 2000, after going undefeated in volleyball, my ridiculously amazing high school team lost in the 4A state finals as well. Freakin 40-0. It still hurts. The next year, my sister Chelsea's volleyball team lost at state. Three years ago, while Chelsea was Dad's assistant softball coach at Spring Hill, they too lost at state. Coincidence? Dumb luck? Hmm. At this point, I don't know.
So I blame my brother. He's the biggest Rangers fan I know, and he's the one whose best friend Kyle Tittle BROUGHT UP the Comfort Curse after Game 6 of the World Series. It was Ryan's turn for this curse to bite. Two years in a row. Now, apparently, it's not only the teams we are directly involved with, but the teams we support too??? Yikes. In that case, there is only one team that has persevered through the Comfort Curse. My LSU Tigers have won the national championship TWICE since I attended the great university, and once I was even there to see it! So, that makes me feel at least a little bit better. A little bit.
Speaking of my Tigers, today was the first Friday of the school year that I didn't wear a Rangers shirt with my jeans (ah, sad face.). I did, however, sport maximum LSU gear for the big #1 v. #2 game tomorrow. My kids were impressed. They feel that I have moved on from the Rangers loss amazingly well, considering that they had to hear me talk about the Rangers on a daily basis during the first two and a half months of school. So when I show up in full LSU mode today, they wondered exactly how I'd be able to handle a loss to Bama this weekend. My obvious response "not gonna happen" was followed by the question, "But what if it does?" Dang kids. My response to this? "You may see your teacher on the news while someone tries to talk me off a ledge." Bad joke to tell to 7th graders. They don't understand sports-obsessed females nor do they get adult humor. My bad. I had to go on record saying "PLEASE DO NOT GO HOME AND TELL YOUR PARENTS THAT YOUR HISTORY TEACHER IS ON A SPORTS-INDUCED SUICIDE WATCH!" eh. it happens.
It may not be the best idea for me to be putting this information about the Curse out in the universe. Sure will not help me find another coaching job should I decide to leave Aledo...or should Aledo fire me after reading this. However, I feel it is time that the Internet world is made aware of our unfortunate family's success-sucking curse so that maybe, just maybe, the curse can move on and haunt some other poor poor family. We just want to win damnit!
So there it is people, the big family secret. The sad world where our teams just can't seem to win when it really counts. It's up to you, LSU, to make sure that this bloody curse does not hold true for all teams that my family cares about. Especially coming on the heels of the World Series. This chick can't take two trips to the L column in a week's time! We've also decided to take a proactive approach and we got season tickets for the Rangers games next year. If it takes us being even more psycho-supportive than ever to try to break this curse, well then that's precisely what we're going to do. Everyone say a little prayer that it doesn't backfire. I'd never forgive myself! ;)
It's hard for me to imagine people who don't like sports. What do they blog about??

No comments:

Post a Comment